|Administrative History||The foundation of Ellon as a town is not recorded although it has existed at least since the Middle Ages. It has been awarded Burgh status 3 times, the first two occurring in 1564, and then in 1707 when David Erskine, 9th Earl of Buchan made it a Burgh of Barony. The third change occurred in 1893 when it was made a Police Burgh, and this collection mostly dates from that year.|
The function of Ellon Town Council ceased in 1975 when local government was reorganised and the burgh was incorporated into the new Grampian Regional Council. The records for this collection do not therefore go beyond this date.