|Administrative History||A burgh of barony erected in 1677. Insch amalgamated with Rothney in November 1923.|
Insch and Rothney Town Council was abolished in 1975 under the terms of the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1973 (c.65). Its powers were assumed by Grampian Regional Council and Gordon District Council. These in turn were replaced by Aberdeenshire Council in 1996 under the terms of the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1994 (c.39).