Record

Ref NoAS/Aivr
Alt Ref NoBH9
TitleRecords of the Royal Burgh of Inverurie
DescriptionThe collection comprises:

AS/Aivr/1 Inverurie Burgh: Town Clerk's Department Records (1797 - 1975)

AS/Aivr/2 Inverurie Burgh: Burgh Chamberlain's Records (1847 - 1975)

AS/Aivr/3 Inverurie Burgh: Dean Of Guild Records (1897 - 1975)

AS/Aivr/4 Inverurie Burgh: Police Court Records (1868 - 1875)

AS/Aivr/5 Inverurie Burgh: Council Property Records (1892 - 1969)

AS/Aivr/6 Inverurie Burgh: Provost's Records (1865 - 1888)

AS/Aivr/7 Inverurie Burgh: Official Event Records (1902 - 1972)

AS/Aivr/8 Inverurie Burgh: Photographs (20th century)

AS/Aivr/9 Inverurie Burgh: Newspaper Cuttings (1931 - 1974)

AS/Aivr/10 Inverurie Burgh: Parliamentary Report (1793)

AS/Aivr/11 Inverurie Burgh: Plans (1872 - 1958)

AS/Aivr/12 Inverurie Burgh: Society Records (1805 - 1940)
Date1793 - 1975
Related Materialnverurie Burgh Records held at the National Archives of Scotland (ref B36)

B36/1 Protocol Book, 1598-1631
B36/2 Register of Sasines (first series), 1682-1801
B36/3 Register of Sasines (second series), 1810-1946
B36/4 Register of Sasines (second series) Minute Books, 1817-1946
B36/5 Presentment Book, 1810-1946
B36/6 Court Books, 1605-1755
B36/7 Licensing Records, 1847-1912
B36/8 Council Register, 1753-1797
B36/9 Magistrates Minute Book, 1833-1841
B36/10 Financial Records (cash books and accounts), 1740-1893
B36/11 Assessment Rolls, 1867-1886
B36/12 Articles of Roup, 1823-1851

An inventory of titles is available in the SRO list in the Archivist's office at Old Aberdeen House.
Extent241 volumes, 1 box, 4 bundles, 7 files, 5 pamphlets, 7 booklets, 31 documents, 2 photographs, and 416 plan sheets
​Open or Restricted AccessOpen
Administrative HistoryInverurie is considered to have been created a Royal burgh between 1178 and 1182 by the gift of the burgh to David, Earl of Huntingdon, by his brother, King William the Lion (1165 - 1214). Ownership by the Earldom of Mar was later recorded, but it was re-erected as a Royal Burgh by Mary, Queen of Scots (1542 - 1567), in 1558.

By the Representation of the People (Scotland) Act 1833 (2 & 3 Will. IV, c.65) it and five other burghs were combined within the Elgin District of Burghs to elect an MP. Inverurie adopted the General Police and Improvement (Scotland) Act 1862 (25 & 26 Vict., c. 101) in 1866. Burgh administration was carried out by police commissioners who were responsible for the cleansing, lighting, policing and public health of the burgh. The main industries in the town at different times were weaving, agricultural production, papermaking and locomotive building. Under the Town Councils (Scotland) Act 1900 (63 & 64 Vict., c. 49) the police commissioners were replaced by Inverurie Town Council in January 1901.

Inverurie Town Council was abolished in 1975 under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (c. 65). Its powers were assumed by Grampian Regional Council and Gordon District Council. These in turn were replaced by Aberdeenshire Council in 1996 under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1994 (c. 39).
Add to My Items