|Administrative History||Ballater was founded in the latter part of the eighteenth century by Francis Farquharson, 6th of Monaltrie, and a leading Jacobite figure, as a development with the neighbouring medicinal wells of Pannanich. In 1872, an application was made by the parochial board of the civil parish of Glenmuick, Tullich and Glengairn, in which Ballater lay, to form a Special Drainage and Water District for the area. This was successful and, in terms of section 76 of the Public Health (Scotland) Act 1867 (30 & 31 Vict., c. 101), Glenmuick, Tullich and Glengairn was duly constituted as a Local Authority. |
Under the General Police & Improvement (Scotland) Act 1862 (25 & 26 Vict., c.101), Ballater became a Police Burgh in 1891. It comprehended the whole area of the Special Drainage and Water Districts formed in 1873 and a small additional adjoining area not included in either of the special districts. The first Police Commissioners were elected on 13 April 1891 and became, under section 99 of the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1889 (52 & 53 Vict., c.50), the Local Authority under the Public Health Acts for the Burgh of Ballater, and by section 81 (3), the Local Authority under the Public Health Acts for the said special districts. On 14 January 1901, at a meeting of the Police Commissioners, it was decided to adopt the Town Councils (Scotland) Act 1900 (63 & 64 Vict., c.49) after which date they met as the Town Council of the Burgh of Ballater.
Ballater Town Council was abolished in 1975 under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (c. 65). Its powers were assumed by Grampian Regional Council and Kincardine and Deeside District Council. These in turn were replaced by Aberdeenshire Council in 1996 under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1994 (c. 39).