Record

Ref NoAS/Kban
Alt Ref NoBH3
Acc No468
594
025
TitleRecords of the Burgh and Council of Banchory
DescriptionThis collection is divided into 10 series of items:

AS/Kban/1 - Minutes of the Town Council and John Watson Guild, 1844 - 1930
AS/Kban/2 - Minutes of the Police Commissioners and Town Council, 1885 - 1975
AS/Kban/3 - Committee Minutes, 1899 - 1970
AS/Kban/4 - Dean of Guild Court Records, 1962 - 1975
AS/Kban/5 - Police Court Records, 1893 - 1975
AS/Kban/6 - Bequests, 1920 - 1957
AS/Kban/7 - Financial Records, 1913 - 1974
AS/Kban/8 - Burgh Assessment Rolls, 1913 - 1961
AS/Kban/9 - Housing Records and Burgh Registers, 1930 - 1967
AS/Kban/10 - Loose items, c.1920 - 1972
AS/Kban/11 - Legal Documents, 1888 - 1969
Date1844 - 1975
Extent13 bundles, 2 boxes, 205 items
​Open or Restricted AccessOpen
Administrative HistoryPrior to the 19th century, Banchory was a small kirktown located on the southern banks of the River Dee, with a church, weekly markets and two annual fairs. The construction of a turnpike road in 1798 and a bridge over the Dee diverted traffic away from the hamlet. Land was feued from the Douglasses of Tilquhillie and Inchmarlo to the north and west and a number of new houses were erected. This thriving, new settlement was known initially as Ardbeadie, however, it was designated Banchory following the creation of the police burgh in 1885.

In the first half of the 19th century, a Town Council was formed by leading residents led by John Watson. Membership was extended to householders upon payment of two shillings and six pence and thereafter upon payment annually of the sum of one shilling. This early Town Council was composed of a provost, dean of guild, baillies and councillors. In 1885, it was created a police burgh in terms of the General Police and Improvement (Scotland) Act, 1862 (25 & 26 Vict., c. 101). Burgh administration was carried out by a body of elected police commissioners who were responsible for cleansing, lighting, policing and public health. As a result, the early Town Council reconstituted itself in 1889 as a guildry, styled the Managers of the John Watson Guild, with the chair assuming the title of dean of guild. Under the terms of the Town Councils (Scotland) Act, 1900 (63 & 64 Vict., c. 49) the police commissioners were replaced by Banchory Town Council in January 1901. The Town Council continued to act as the local authority until the Burgh was abolished in 1975 under the terms of the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1973 (c. 65). Its powers were assumed by Grampian Regional Council and Kincardine & Deeside District Council. These in turn were replaced by Aberdeenshire Council in 1996 under the terms of the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1994 (c. 39).
Add to My Items

    Major Collections

    Browse some of our major collections