Ref NoAS/Kban/1
TitleBanchory Burgh: Minutes of the Town Council and John Watson Guild
DescriptionJohn Watson (1807) was one of the three original feuars in Ardbeadie, along with William Shaw (1805) and William Ewan (1809). He was prominent in the establishment of a Town Council but declined the offer of the first provostship in favour of James Torry. In 1828, he gifted a piece of ground surrounding the public well, the free income of which was to be reserved for the use of the inhabitants. The accumulated funds were used to provide free street lighting, by the introduction of a gas supply to the town, and to assist impoverished residents through a coal fund and soup kitchen. The managers also oversaw the erection of a public hall in the 1870s. Following the election of the first police commissioners in 1885, the 'Town Council' recognised its local authority responsibilities had passed to this new statutory body and resolved to reappraise its role. In 1889, it renamed itself the John Watson Guild, adopted a new constitution and determined to contribute to local charities and to manage its funds for the general improvement of the town.
Date1844 - 1930
LevelSeries
Access_StatusOpen
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020