Record

Ref NoAS/Kber
Alt Ref NoBH8
Acc No2634
2518
1460
1457
1433
1027
637
632
463
074
TitleRecords of the Royal Burgh of Inverbervie
DescriptionAS/Kber/1 Inverbervie Burgh: Town Clerk's Department 1708 - 1975
AS/Kber/2 Inverbervie Burgh: Treasurer/Chamberlain's Department 1757 - 1973
AS/Kber/3 Inverbervie Burgh: Dean of Guild 1937 - 1964
AS/Kber/4 Inverbervie Burgh: Police Department 1924 - 1940
AS/Kber/5 Inverbervie Burgh: Town Plans early 19th century
Date1708 - 1975
Related MaterialRegisters of Sasines for Inverbervie are held at the National Records of Scotland:
B33/1 Registers of Sasines 1751 - 1927
B33/2 Register of Sasines - Minute Book 1811- 1927
Extent73 volumes, 6 binders, 2 files, 2 bundle, 61 plans, 113 items
​Open or Restricted AccessOpen
Administrative HistoryThe early history of Inverbervie is obscure until in 1341 it was made a free burgh, without prejudice to the privileges of Aberdeen, Montrose, Dundee and Arbroath, (Registrum Magni Sigilli Regum Scotorum, 1882-1914, Edinburgh). Local tradition had it that David II made Inverbervie a royal burgh after receiving hospitality when he landed there, on his return from France on 2 June 1341. A confirming charter was granted by James VI in 1595. Although Inverbervie was stented along with other northern burghs in 1483, it was not until 1670 that it was admitted to the Scottish Parliament or the Convention of Royal Burghs.

The Burgh was governed by a provost, three bailies, a dean of guild, a treasurer, and nine councillors. Following the passing of the Cattle Diseases Prevention Act, 1866, the Town Council was constituted the local authority for the area and, at a meeting of 3 March 1866, appointed a cattle inspector. On 24 April 1868, the Town Council also appointed a Medical Officer and Sanitary Inspector in terms of the Public Health (Scotland) Act, 1867. By 1884, the following committees were appointed annually; Licensing; Water; Roads; Street Lighting; Slaughterhouse, Customs, Dung and Sea Beach; and Sanitary Committee. On 2 November 1894, the Town Council resolved to establish a Police Court in the Burgh. Therefore, in accordance with the Burgh Police (Scotland) Act, 1892, the Town Council constituted itself as Police Commissioners for the area and heard a Court in the Town Hall every Friday morning.

Burgh administration was carried out by the police commissioners who were responsible for the cleansing, lighting, policing and public health of the burgh. The main industries in the town were linen weaving and fishing. Under the Town Councils (Scotland) Act 1900 (63 & 64 Vict., c. 49) the police commissioners were replaced by Inverbervie Town Council in January 1901. Inverbervie Town Council was abolished in 1975 under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (c. 65). Its powers were assumed by Grampian Regional Council and Kincardine and Deeside District Council. These in turn were replaced by Aberdeenshire Council in 1996 under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1994 (c. 39).
Add to My Items