Ref NoAS/Klrk
Alt Ref NoBH11
TitleRecords of the Burgh of Laurencekirk
DescriptionThe burgh of Laurencekirk collection consists of an assorted range of archival material dating from the earliest record from 1751 detailing rental and account records from the account of Johnstown until the latest Minute Book entries from 1975. The main types of records detail the everyday administrative role of the Laurencekirk burgh, throughout its records which contain over two-hundred years of history.

The collection comprises:

AS/Klrk/1 Laurencekirk Burgh: Council Minutes (1780 - 1975)

AS/Klrk/2 Laurencekirk Burgh: Valuation and Assessment Rolls (1949 - 1970)

AS/Klrk/3 Laurencekirk Burgh: Annual Abstracts of Accounts (1943 - 1973)

AS/Klrk/4 Laurencekirk Burgh: Account Books and Finance Papers (1890 - 1953)

AS/Klrk/5 Laurencekirk Burgh: Memoranda Book, Rental and Account Records and Copy of Foundation Charter (1751 - 1876)

AS/Klrk/6 Laurencekirk Burgh: Dean of Guild Court Records (1928 - 1973)

AS/Klrk/7 Laurencekirk Burgh: Housing Records (1930 - 1955)

AS/Klrk/8 Laurencekirk Burgh: Civil Defence Records (1940 - 1951)

AS/Klrk/9 Laurencekirk Burgh: Public Notices (1913 - 1954)

AS/Klrk/10 Laurencekirk Burgh: Laurencekirk Hall Trust Records (1865 - 1900)

AS/Klrk/11 Laurencekirk Burgh: Miscellaneous Records
Date1751 - 1975
CreatorLaurencekirk Burgh
Extent35 volumes, 3 folders, 406 documents, 3 booklets and 1 pamphlet
​Open or Restricted AccessOpen
Access ConditionsSome housing records closed under the DPA.
Administrative HistoryLaurencekirk was originally the Kirkton of Conveth in the lands of the Johnston Estate. During the 1760s a Lord of Session and Sheriff of Kincardine Lord Gardenstone, also known as Francis Garden, purchased the estate and envisioned transforming the Kirkton into a new planned village.

The village of Laurencekirk was made a Burgh of Barony on 27 August 1779, whereby, through the charter this allowed them to elect a Baillie and four Councillors. The first Baillie being George Murdoch as well as the Councillors William Lyall, John Silver, John Scott and John Loikie. The Charter also granted them the right to have an annual fair and to have weekly markets.

This situation persisted within Laurencekirk for more than one-hundred and twenty years when in 1901 the burgh's powers were transferred to the Town Council which was made up of a Provost, two Baillies, six Councillors, Town Clerk and Treasurer. The first Provost of Laurencekirk was John Rae who first presided over a Town Council meeting on 10 January 1901.

In 1975 the Town Council was abolished and replaced with Grampian Regional Council as part of the reorganisation process within local government, thus no records for this collection are detailed beyond this date.
Add to My Items