Ref NoDD98
Acc NoAcc 98
TitleRecords of Aberdeen Home for Widowers Children, Primrosehill Home
DescriptionConstitutions and Legal Agreements; Minute Books; Abstracts of Accounts and Annual Reports; Press Statement; Subscription and Donation List; Financial Records; Correspondence; Insurance Policies; Photographs
Date1907 - 1993
CreatorAberdeen Home for Widowers' Children, Primrosehill Home
Extent4 boxes and 1 volume
​Open or Restricted AccessOpen
Access ConditionsNone
Administrative HistoryThese papers detail the history of the Aberdeen Home for Widowers' Children from its conception in June 1903 to its closure as a children's home in 1982 and its final dissolution as an organisation in 1992. The Home was set up to look after the motherless children of working men, with its first location being Berrybank House, Belmont Road which first opened in June 1903, having 16 admissions by the end of the first year. In 1907 Primrosehill, Sunnybank Road was purchased and this remained the main home until its closure in 1982. Two other homes were open briefly, Grove Cottage, 60 Great Western Road between 1909 and 1911 and Friendly Bank, Kings Crescent between 1914 and 1917.

The Home was originally financed by fathers paying for their children's maintenance. However these rules were gradually relaxed and by the end of the 1950's Primrosehill had become firmly established as a charity with subscriptions, deeds of covenant and legacies from individuals and grants from local charitable trusts actively sought.

The Home began to run into difficulties by the end of the 1970's in terms of numbers of residents, partially due to the attitude that care in a private foster home was better for the child. In February 1982 there were only 5 children in the home, and the Committee took the decision to close, with the last child departing in July 1982. The Committee was of the opinion that Primrosehill should continue to benefit children and in the autumn of 1983 a joint application for an Urban Aid Grant by the St Katherine's Centre, the Aberlour Child Care Trust and the Aberdeen Home for Widowers' Children for the development of Primrosehill as a Family Centre was successful. Initially the Family Centre was managed by a committee with representatives of St Katherine's, Aberlour and the Home. In 1985 the Home withdrew from the Management Committee but continued to act on the Advisory Committee. In 1986 St Katherine's withdrew leaving the responsibility with the Aberlour Child Care Trust and in March 1991 arrangements were made to convey the house formally from the Home to the Aberlour Child Care Trust along with a donation of £20,000. The balance of the Homes funds were donated to charities for the benefit of children and the winding up was completed on 31 March 1992.

For greater detail regarding the history of the home reference is made to "The Aberdeen Home for Widowers' Children - The Story of Primrosehill" written by Steven L. Henderson.

Matrons (information from British Newspaper Archive)
Mrs Edwards (retiredin 1950 after 34 years)
Mr Alexander and Mrs Jane Taylor, from Keith 1950 - 1961 (Mr Taylor died 3 Feb 1956, Mrs Taylor in August 1961, only a month after retiring)
Hilda and Mr Robb, 1961 - ? (still in post 1975)
Add to My Items

    Major Collections

    Browse some of our major collections