Record

Ref NoED/GR6S/A4
Acc No1806
2171806
TitleRecords of Ashley Road School (Aberdeen)
DescriptionED/GR6S/A4/1 Log Books (1888 - 1960)
ED/GR6S/A4/2 Admission Registers (1885 - 1928, 1953-2006)
ED/GR6S/A4/3 Lefts Registers (1912 - 1920, 1999-2008)
ED/GR6S/A4/4 Miscellaneous Records (1893 - 1970)
Date1888 - 2006
Extent15 volumes, various misc items
​Open or Restricted AccessRestricted
Access ConditionsThe Data Protection Act may apply to these records. The records can be consulted in person or by a representative following completion of an access request form subject to conditions under the Data Protection Act (1998).
Administrative HistoryAshley Road School was opened by Aberdeen School Board on 3 December 1888 at 45 Ashley Road, Aberdeen. Until 1922, the school provided elementary education for children aged from 5 years to the school leaving age, which was 13 years until 1901 and thereafter 14 years. The school was organised into two departments: an Infant Department, under the charge of the Infant Mistress, which catered for children aged from around 5 years; and a Senior (known from the 1920s as Junior) Department, for those aged from around 7 years. The Senior Department was directly under the control of the Headteacher.

Parents of children attending the school paid school fees until 1914. Fees at most other elementary schools in Aberdeen were abolished by the School Board in 1889, but the Board considered that the payment of fees presented no difficulty to the parents of pupils of Ashley Road School.

On the abolition of Aberdeen School Board in 1919, management of the school was transferred to Aberdeen Education Authority. The Education Authority introduced separate primary and secondary schools in the City in the 1920s, at which point Ashley Road School became a primary school. From 1922, pupils educated to primary level at Ashley Road School transferred either to one of the three senior secondary schools, the Central School, the Grammar School and the High School for Girls, or to Ruthrieston junior secondary school.

The scheme for secondary education was reorganised in 1969. Female pupils from Ashley Road School transferred to the High School for Girls from 1970 to 1972, and male pupils transferred to the Grammar School. Since 1973, Ashley Road School has been a feeder primary for Aberdeen Grammar School.

A nursery department was opened in the school in August 1967.

Management of the school was transferred to Aberdeen Town Council Education Committee in 1930, to Grampian Regional Council in 1975 and to Aberdeen City Council in 1996.

Headteachers:-
Robert Valentine, 1916 - 1923 (died)
William A Stormonth, 1923 - 1924 (retired)
John Ritchie, 1924 - 1930 (retired)
Alex. MacGregor, MA 1931 - 1932 (to Woodside School)
Charles Thomson, MA, BSc, 1932 - 1939 (to Seaton School)
John Mutch, MA 1939 - 1944 (to Broomhill School)
Alfred Falconer 1944 - ?
Miss Elizabeth Torrance, MA ?1975 - 1988
Mrs Jean Riach, MA 1988 - ?
Add to My Items

    Major Collections

    Browse some of our major collections