Ref NoHR
Acc NoAcc 40
TitleRecords of Alexander Hall and the Hall Russell Shipping Company
DescriptionHR/1/1: Alexander Hall and Company - Minutes (1904-1954)
HR/1/2: Alexander Hall and Company - Share Registers (1904-1954)
HR/1/3: Alexander Hall and Company - Letter Books (1866-1911)
HR/1/4: Alexander Hall and Company - Finance Records (1817-1967)
HR/1/5: Alexander Hall and Company - Technical Records (1811-1958)
HR/2/1: Hall Russell & Co - Minutes of Shareholders, Directors and the Joint Works Committee (1865-1979)
HR/2/2: Hall Russell & Co - Personnel and Administrative Records (1869-1983)
HR/2/3: Hall Russell & Co - Technical Records (1867-1969)
HR/2/4: Hall Russell & Co - Financial Records (c. 1875-1975)
HR/2/5: Hall Russell & Co - Plans (c. 1837-1974)
HR/2/6: Hall Russell & Co - Miscellanea (c. 1839-1990)
HR/2/7: Hall Russell & Co - Photographs (19th and 20th Century)
Date1837 - 1990
DocumentHall Russell Records.pdf
CreatorBurntisland Shipbuilding Company Ltd
Hall Russell & Company Ltd
Alexander Hall & Company Ltd
Extent119 volumes, 173 papers, 66 files, 12 booklets, 3 bundles, 245 plans, 434 negatives, 34 glass plates, 4 positives, 7 pages, 1 roll of negatives, 3 contact sheets, 1992 photographs, 2 slides and 2 wooden boards
​Open or Restricted AccessOpen
Access ConditionsOpen for consultation at our Town House site, open Wed-Fri 9:30-12:30 and 13:30-16:30. It is advisable to make an appointment.
Administrative HistoryAlexander Hall and Co. Ltd. was established in Aberdeen in 1790 in succession to the partnership of Cochar & Gibbon and was incorporated as a limited liability company in 1904. In 1942 it was taken over by the Burntisland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd. and later integrated with another Burntisland subsidiary, Hall Russell & Co. Ltd.

Hall Russell & Co. was established in Aberdeen as a general engineering concern in 1864 and incorporated in 1879 as a limited liability company, Hall Russell and Co. Ltd. The company was taken over by the Burntisland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd in 1942 (above). The company later merged with Alexander Hall and Co. Ltd and became a member of British Shipbuilders in 1977. The company specialised in fishing vessels but latterly also produced chemical tankers, oiling and small bulk carriers. Privatised in 1986, the company went into receivership two years later. In 1991 the yard was operated by A & P Appledore (Aberdeen) Ltd, a subsidiary of Cornwall Trust plc. which is now operating from Wallsend, Tyne & Wear. Although the main body of the material has been relisted, the photographs (HR/2/7) have been kept in the original numerical order as compiled by the NRAS during a survey taken around 1985. For material relating to union activities within the Hall Russell/Appledore Company, see also records of the Amalgamated Engineering and Electrical Union and associated unions.
Related RecordAEEU


Add to My Items

    Major Collections

    Browse some of our major collections