|Extent||119 volumes, 173 papers, 66 files, 12 booklets, 3 bundles, 245 plans, 434 negatives, 34 glass plates, 4 positives, 7 pages, 1 roll of negatives, 3 contact sheets, 1992 photographs, 2 slides and 2 wooden boards|
|Administrative History||Alexander Hall and Co. Ltd. was established in Aberdeen in 1790 in succession to the partnership of Cochar & Gibbon and was incorporated as a limited liability company in 1904. In 1942 it was taken over by the Burntisland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd. and later integrated with another Burntisland subsidiary, Hall Russell & Co. Ltd. |
Hall Russell & Co. was established in Aberdeen as a general engineering concern in 1864 and incorporated in 1879 as a limited liablilty company, Hall Russell and Co. Ltd. The company was taken over by the Burntisland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd in 1942 (above). The company later merged with Alexander Hall and Co. Ltd and became a member of British Shipbuilders in 1977. The company specialised in fishing vessels but latterly also produced chemical tankers, oiling and small bulk carriers. Privatised in 1986, the company went into receivership two years later. In 1991 the yard was operated by A & P Appledore (Aberdeen) Ltd, a subsidiary of Cornwall Trust plc. which is now operating from Wallsend, Tyne & Wear. Although the main body of the material has been relisted, the photographs (HR/2/7) have been kept in the original numerical order as compiled by the NRAS during a survey taken around 1985. For material relating to union activities within the Hall Russell/Appledore Company, see also records of the Amalgamated Engineering and Electrical Union and associated unions.